Welcome to the Instill AI x Hacktoberfest 2023! In this blog post, we will guide you on participating in this exciting event and making the most of your contributions. Whether you're a seasoned developer or a beginner looking to get involved, we have something for everyone. So let's dive in and discover how you can join the Hacktoberfest fun!
#Win Instill swags
Before you dive into contributing, here are some important points to keep in mind:
If you wish to receive a Digital Reward Kit from Hacktoberfest or have a tree planted in your name by Tree Nation, be sure to register for a Hacktoberfest account between September 26th and October 31st.
Participants who have four pull/merge requests accepted from October 1st to October 31st will earn a unique digital reward from Hacktoberfest.
The first 50,000 participants to have their initial PR/MR accepted will have a tree 🌳 planted in their name through Tree Nation. By contributing to the Instill AI Hacktoberfest, you not only enhance your programming skills but also contribute to a greener planet!
And guess what? We've also prepared some fantastic swag, doubling your chances to earn recognition! 🎉
#Share to claim Instill digital stickers
By sharing/reposting our event on social media, you'll earn Instill digital stickers.
#Contribute to win Instill swag package
Participants whose credits rank in the TOP 30% will receive an Instill AI swag package, which includes Instill Physical Stickers, and Instill Bottle or Mug.
#How to participate
Check out our Hacktoberfest orientation video to get up to speed on how to contribute. There are three main ways for contributing and earning credits, each with its own set of guidelines. Let's dive into the details:
We have specific guidelines for each. Let's take a closer look:
#Contributing with code
Join the Issue Contributing Hackathon by following these steps:
- Choose an issue from our Community repository that you want to work on.
- Leave a comment on the issue to indicate your interest in working on it. Our team at Instill AI will assign it to you.
- After PR is sent and accepted, make sure to submit the Google Form here to claim your credits. (Please submit multiple times for each task you complete)
When participating in the Issue Contributing Hackathon, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Each issue will only be assigned to one person/team at a time.
- Work on one issue at a time to maintain focus and ensure quality.
- Address all suggestions or feedback provided by the Instill AI team.
- Commit regularly to show progress. If no activity is observed within one week, the issue may be reassigned to another contributor.
- Join our Discord to engage in discussions and seek assistance if needed.
Here are the meaning of issue or PR labels:
hacktoberfest: Only issues tagged will be counted in this event.
good first issue: Issue suitable for first-time contributors
help wanted: Issue complexity suitable for external contributors
bonus credits: Earn 50 extra credits if accepted
to be claimed: Issue available to be claimed. Please note that the issue will only be assigned to one person at a time.
in progress: The issue has been assigned to a contributor. Please note that if there is no progress after one week, the assignment will be revoked and changed to
to be claimed
pr submitted: Once the PR is submitted. The status would be changed to
done: Once the PR has been accepted, the status will be changed to
hacktoberfest accepted: After your contribution changes to
done, you’ll have to submit the Google form to confirm. After further confirmation, the status will be changed to
hacktoberfest accepted(Hacktoberfest will track this label)
invalid: After reviewing, the PR is not accepted.
spam: After reviewing, the PR is considered spam.
- Each PR accepted: 50 credits
- Each hard PR accepted(with extra-bonus labeled issue): 100 credits
#Sharing your pipelines and create tutorials
To participate in the Pipeline Sharing Hackathon, follow these steps:
- Create a VDP pipeline on Instill Cloud by following the provided guideline
- Share your pipelines on social media to earn 30 credits (or an additional 20 credits if it includes a GIF or video).
- Produce and share a comprehensive tutorial on your preferred platform, demonstrating your pipeline creation process. This tutorial can be in video or blog format, and you will earn 50 credits for it.
- Submit your sharing/tutorial using the Google form here to ensure our team reviews your submission. Please remember to submit multiple times for each completed task.
When you share your pipelines on social media, please
- Include a brief introduction of your pipeline, especially the use cases of the pipeline.
- Include a screenshot of your pipeline will be strongly recommended.
- Don't forget to include the hashtags
#hacktoberfest2023to help us track your content.
If you opt to create a video or blog tutorial, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Title: For instance, "How to Create an X Application Using VDP from Instill AI" (You can replace X with any relevant term).
- Content: Discuss either the technical aspect or the use case aspect of the application.
- For a Video Tutorial:
- Incorporate a clear voice-over to provide comprehensive instructions.
- Ensure that the video maintains a high quality and is free from pixelation.
- For a Blog Tutorial:
- Include a captivating hero image to enhance the visual appeal of your tutorial.
- Structure your content with an introduction, a step-by-step guide, and a conclusion to effectively guide readers through the process of building an application using VDP.
- Publication: Make sure to publish the video or blog tutorial on a publicly accessible channel. Don't forget to include the hashtags
#hacktoberfest2023to assist us in tracking your content.
- Pipeline sharing: 30 credits
- Include GIF/video in the sharing: Extra 20 credits
- Make a video/blog tutorial: Extra 50 credits
#Hackathon best practices
To maximize your experience in the Instill AI x Hacktoberfest, we recommend following these best practices:
- Evaluate the complexity of the problem you intend to address and plan your approach accordingly.
- Clearly explain why and how you utilized Instill AI VDP in your video or blog tutorial.
- Provide a comprehensive explanation of your project to ensure clarity for readers or viewers.
- Collaborate with others to expedite the development process and enhance the final outcome.
- Don't hesitate to seek assistance or share your thoughts on our Discord.
- Thoroughly test your work before submitting it to ensure its functionality and reliability.
Your PR/MRs must be created between October 1st and October 31st in any time zone (UTC-12 thru UTC+14). Make sure to make your PR/MRs to a public, unarchived repository.
Instill AI must accept your pull/merge requests for them to count toward your total. PR/MRs that are labeled with a label containing the word
invalid by maintainers will not be counted. Only those labeled
hacktoberfest-accepted will be considered.
To get started, check out these helpful resources:
- Instill AI Documentation: Get familiar with our product and explore its capabilities.
- Instill AI GitHub Repository: Discover existing issues and explore our ongoing projects.
- Hacktoberfest Submission Form: Once the work is completed, ensure that you submit the form to claim the credits. (Please submit multiple times for each task you complete)
- Instill AI Discord: If you have any questions or need further information regarding Hacktoberfest or Instill AI, please feel free to visit our Discord.
- Hacktoberfest Official Website: If you would like to receive a Digital Reward Kit from Hacktoberfest or have a tree planted in your name through Tree Nation, make sure to register for a Hacktoberfest account between September 26th and October 31st and follow the rules from Hacktoberfest.
- Instill AI x Hacktoberfest Orientation: A brief introduction to Instill AI's product, what to expect, and how to participate in Hacktoberfest.
#Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Don't worry, we've got you covered with answers to common questions!
#When are the Hacktoberfest 2023 events taking place?
- October 1, 2023 - Hacktoberfest 2023 Kicks Off
- October 31, 2023 - PR Submissions Deadline
- November 10, 2023 - Announcement of Top 30% Contributors
#What if I want to work on multiple issues?
You're welcome to take on as many issues as you'd like. However, please keep in mind that a contributor or team can work on ONE issue at a time.
#What if I want to submit multiple video/blog tutorials?
Feel free to submit multiple videos or tutorials; your credits will accumulate!
#Can two or more people collaborate on the same project?
Absolutely! Collaboration is encouraged. However, only one person can submit the final project. If your team wins, the prize will be awarded to the individual who submitted the project.
#How can I create a video tutorial?
We recommend using QuickTime Player on your Mac or Screen Studio for screen recording, as they produce high-quality output. Avoid using Loom, as it may result in pixelated videos.
#How will the top 30% of contributors be notified?
The top 30% of contributors will receive an email notification using the address provided when submitting their projects. Additionally, we will announce the top contributors in the Instill AI newsletter.
We hope this blog post has provided you with all the information you need to participate in Instill AI x Hacktoberfest. Get ready to showcase your skills, collaborate with other talented developers, and make a lasting impact on the world of technology. Happy hacking!
With the Instill AI x Hacktoberfest, you have the opportunity to contribute to awesome projects, enhance your skills, and earn exciting swags. Don't miss out on this chance to join this vibrant community and make a difference. Visit our GitHub repository and start your Hacktoberfest journey today!